Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mmm..Beef Round Steaks

Wow!  I am thrilled that my round steaks were delicious!  I decided against the Sorta Salisbury Steak and combined the other recipes for frying the rounds.

  My beef rounds were about 3/4 in thick; I sliced them in half so they were roughly 1/4 inch thick.  Because the meat is normally very tough I needed to tenderize it. (shh... don't tell anyone that I used a dull serrated knife to pound my meat) I made sure to  use plenty of freshly ground pepper like the Pioneer woman suggested .  I love pepper so I wasn't shy. (Have you seen me eat my pepper with fry's and ketchup???) In addition to pepper in the flour I added some Lawry's seasoning salt.  Then I followed
 choice #1 Chicken Fried Steak for the dredge.  I liked the idea of having the extra spices on it, Tabasco, buttermilk(of which I made my own, milk plus vinegar or lemon juice=buttermilk), and fresh garlic cloves.  So it's flour, dredge, flour, fry.  I didn't have shortening so I used veggie oil a.k.a. soybean oil.  Once HOT I added 2 TBLS butter for browning purposes.   I fried the first side until the edges started to brown then I flipped it and cooked the other side for about 1 minute.  I also chose to make gravy using the oil I fried the steaks in.  I roughly followed the recipe from "choice #1"; basically I cut the recipe in half- I didn't want that much gravy.  If we would have been having mashed potatoes I would have made a full batch, but we had potatoes au'gratin.    Even though it was box potatoes they were still delicious and a perfect combo. 
Shame on me...I didn't take any pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment