Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Homemade Corn Totillas



Recently, we dined at a Mexican restaurant and were terribly disappointed.  It seems as though Grand Cayman is in need of authentic Mexican food.  I was absolutely astonished when the fish tacos I ordered were served with those hard corn tortilla chip-like tacos.  Not that I don't like those super cheap ground beef tacos from Taco Bell or Dell Taco, but when I am going "out" to dinner those taco shells simply won't do.  This experience inspired me to make homemade tortillas.

I simply used Maseca Corn Masa Mix and followed the recipe on the back.  After my first batch I doubled the salt it called for making them even more delicious.  Now, I don't have a tortilla press so I had to get crafty with my cutting board, a smooth glass lid for pressing, and a wine bottle.  I covered all surfaces with plastic wrap.  Then flattened the ball of dough as much as I could between the cutting board and the lid.  It wasn't flat enough so I used my handy dandy wine bottle rolling pin to finish the job.  It was more simple than I thought.  It did require more time than buying ready made corn tortillas from the market, but definitely worth it.

Today we enjoyed corn tortilla quesadillas for lunch.  Joie enjoyed them so much that she exclaimed,"I love homemade quesadillas!"  There is no need to convince her that homemade is better; she already knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment